Dance teacher insurance

Secure dance teacher insurance quickly and without fuss. We're simply priced, flexible and upfront.

Rating: 4.8 - 24 reviews
Answer 4 questions to get an instant price.
Answer 4 questions to get a price.
Dance teacher insurance
Dance teacher insurance
Dance teacher insurance
A stopwatch.
Quickly priced
Buy online 24 hours.
Buy online
A man going fast.
Instant cover
Top insurers
A few coins.
Pay monthly
Covers to consider

What is dancer teacher insurance?

Dance teacher insurance isn’t one thing. It’s several products you buy to meet the specific insurance needs of your dance teaching business.

Because you’re working with people, public liability is often the first insurance most self-employed dance teachers buy. However, dance teachers provide advice and also need professional indemnity insurance. Covering commercial legal expenses is valuable, so we include it as a standard.

Self employed professional indemnity insurance
Professional indemnity

from £7.67 per month

Provides you with legal defence against claims of professional mistake or negligence causing a financial loss to your clients.

Up to £2,000,000 cover

Zero excess

Dedicated legal team

A+ insurer

Competitive prices

Core cover
Self employed professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity

from £8.89 per month

Provides you with legal defence against claims of professional mistake or negligence causing a financial loss to your clients.

Up to £2,000,000 cover

Zero excess

Dedicated legal team

A+ insurer

Competitive prices

Core cover
Commercial legal expenses insurance.
Business legal protect

Cover of £100,000 commercial legal expenses included with your policy subscription.

Protects you and your business against a range of issues not typically covered by professional indemnity or public liability.

IR35 & HMRC investigations

Legal matters concerning your business

Negative PR (£25,000 cover)

Criminal prosecution

Compliance & regulation issues

Unpaid invoices (over £200)

Also includes free telephone advice & help from qualified professionals.

Tax and commercial legal advice

Counselling for you and your staff

Access to a legal template library

Identity theft assistance

Self employed public liability insurance.
Public liability

from +£4.76 per month

Protects your business against claims of causing an accidental injury or property damage to either your clients or a third party.

Up to £2,000,000 cover including products liability

No excess

Expert legal team

A+ specialist insurers

Covers claims against your client caused by your business

Business equipment insurance.
Electronic business equipment

from +£7.00 per month

Pays for repair or replacement if your portable electronic equipment (and accessories) get damaged or lost.

Equipment up to £10,000 cover (£3,500 per item)

Accessories are included (£500 per item)

Hired equipment is covered

Worldwide - your devices are covered anywhere you are

Personal accident insurance.
Business owner protect

from +£10.07 per month

Reimburses your taxable business expenses while you’re recovering from a serious illness or injury.

Up to £2,000 a month

Up to 6 months following the first 30 days of illness

Any tax deductible expenses included

Receive a lump sump payout if you suffer an accident leaving you with partial or total disablement:

£5,000 lump sum

Fast customer service

Quick payout

Answer 4 questions then select the policies and limits you need.
Answer 4 questions then select the policies and limits you need.
What people say
2 March
Extremely impressed

Extremely impressed with the professional and supportive service I received.

Kellie Williams
on Google
16 February
Very efficient

After shopping around for business liability cover, I found suited, I had a few questions and Jana from suited was very efficient...

on Trustpilot
14 February

The website is easy to use and the process is intuitive, clear and easy to follow.

Matt M
on Trustpilot
11 February

I was recommended Suited, because I’d been stalling. Simple to use website, offered clear, concise information and selection...

on Trustpilot
12 December

Really fantastic service by the suited insure team! Always found the insurance side to be a bit confusing but the team took me...

Michael Ryan
on Google
15 September

A simple and flexible service for what I required. Great communication from start to finish.

Matthew Allen
on Google
1 August

I was looking for business insurance this easy to use and very well explained web site made the process simple and painless. Had a quote...

Piers Field
on Trustpilot
In detail

Why do dance teachers need insurance?

Independent dance teachers and instructors face many more risks than those employed by schools or studios. The nature of your job is a lot of contact with many people. That can sometimes lead to conflicts, no matter how good you are at your job.

Whether you teach only a few hours a week or make money out of dance teaching full-time, you should not leave yourself exposed to being sued. 

Liability insurance for dance teachers usually consists of a few essential covers designed to protect you and your business against accusations and legal action arising from business activities.  

If someone, your student or a member of the public makes compensation demands against you, your dance teacher liability insurance will provide legal defence and pay the compensation if it becomes due.

Failing duty of care claims

If, during a dance lesson, you step out of the class and someone gets injured in your absence, you may be accused of failing your duty of care and may be required to pay medical bills or compensation.

Accusations of negligence

Students, or your student’s parents, have certain expectations of you as a dance teacher. You are paid to teach but also to keep your students safe. You could be asked to refund or provide more work for free if your clients feel you’ve been negligent in your duties.

Loss or damage to property (for which you are responsible)

Dance instructors often rent third-party premises, and they’re responsible for it. Students who come to learn also expect their belongings to be safe. You may be expected to pay if something goes missing or gets damaged.

Medical expenses compensation demands following an injury

Dancing is an activity that can be physically demanding and generally takes place on your say-so. An injury can be an accident when one of your students trips over another one or something left on the floor. But it could also be an injury following your advice that may give rise to a legal claim against you.

Public liability insurance for dance teachers

Public liability insurance shields dance teachers from claims of injuries or property damage.

Dance teachers have regular contact with their students and members of the public. They also rent other people’s premises to deliver their dance classes. Public liability insurance for dance teachers is an essential cover that protects you from compensation demands arising from accidental injury or property damage.

What does dance teacher public liability insurance cover?

Public liability provides legal defence and covers a possible payout if you're found liable.

Cover includes:

  • accidental injury or death
  • accidental property damage

For example:

  • Property damage is among the most common claims under public liability insurance for dance instructors. A good dance studio has a wall of mirrors. Students, especially beginners or those attempting advanced moves, can run into one of the mirrors and cause breakage. The property owner will likely ask you to pay for the damage.
  • A wet spot on the floor from a spilt bottle or a towel lying about can cause a trip or fall, resulting in an injury. Some students might feel that it’s only fair that you should pay their medical expenses.

Professional indemnity insurance for dance teachers

Many instructors teach without professional indemnity insurance for dance teachers; this could be a costly mistake.

How? As a dance instructor, you provide advice on movement and exercise. A diligent student will practise at home on their own. That can lead to an injury. The client may feel you failed to consider their health and advised them incorrectly. Their physio or medical bills could be forwarded to you to pay. If you refuse, the client may turn their demand into a legal claim.

What does dance teacher professional indemnity insurance cover?

Professional indemnity insurance protects dance teachers from legal claims of wrongdoing from their professional advice or work.

Cover includes:

  • Failing your duty of care
  • Acting negligently
  • Giving the wrong advice or recommendation

For example, you may be facing financial demands from a client because:

  • Encouraging students to attempt more advanced moves can easily lead to an injury. That’s no accident if the student followed your advice. You may be held responsible for the medical bills. 
  • Parents of a child or the student you teach could demand compensation because you posted a photo or said something that caused harm. This situation could be career-ending if not appropriately addressed by a qualified legal defence.

What professional indemnity limit do dance teachers need?

The professional indemnity limit you need will reflect your particular business activities. When choosing a limit, consider several factors: how often you coach, how many people you work with, and possible financial impacts if your teaching advice goes wrong.

Switching your professional indemnity insurance

Typically, in the UK, if you cancel a professional indemnity policy, you can no longer claim against it.

Therefore, if you switch your dance teacher insurance provider, be sure your new policy covers your past work; this is called “retroactive cover”.

Should I keep professional indemnity insurance if I retire from self-employed dance teaching?

It’s wise to keep your professional indemnity if you retire from dance teaching. Claims against professional misconduct can surface months or years after you delivered the work. 

If a past client sues you for damages and you have cancelled your professional indemnity, you will not be covered.

How long you keep your cover in place is up to you; consider the type of dance teaching you did and the likelihood that a client might bring a claim against you. 

Other insurance freelance dance teachers buy

As a dance teacher, consider extra insurance for legal disputes and computer equipment. Plan for illness and its impact on your business.

Commercial legal expenses insurance

Most commercial legal expenses insurance will protect dance teachers against various tax and legal issues you may encounter due to your profession, which are not picked up by professional indemnity or public liability.

At Suited, we combined £100,000 of commercial legal expenses insurance with helplines and other tools to better assist dance teachers in dealing with these issues. We call this Business Legal Protect, and it’s part of your subscription.

Business Legal Protect offers qualified advice and assistance with:

  • Legal and tax matters concerning your business
  • Criminal prosecution
  • Unpaid invoices (over £200)

For example:

  • HMRC investigates your tax affairs
  • You need tax or legal advice regarding your business
  • You need legal help chasing a significant unpaid invoice
  • You’re being taken to court for breach of contract

Dance teachers we insure

Suited offers comprehensive insurance policies that cater to the needs of a wide range of dance teachers, including:

  • Salsa teachers
  • Tango teachers
  • Zumba teachers
  • Ballet instructors
  • Contemporary dance teachers
  • Hip-Hop dance teachers
  • Tap dance teachers
  • Ballroom dance teachers
  • Latin dance teachers
  • Salsa dance teachers
  • Swing dance teachers
  • Tango dance teachers
  • Flamenco dance teachers
  • Irish step dance teachers
  • African dance teachers
  • Modern dance teachers
  • Children's dance teachers
  • Adult dance teachers
  • Dance fitness teachers
  • Dance competition teachers/coaches
  • and more..

Shopping for dance instructor insurance

Whether or not you decide to use Suited dance teacher insurance to protect your business, it’s worth keeping the following in mind:

Cheap dance teacher insurance

When selecting a dance instructor insurance provider, it's crucial to take into account not just the cost, but also the caliber of their post-sale assistance. At Suited, we recognize this and provide numerous ways for effortless communication with our team.

The reputation of the insurer is important

Insurance needs to be there when you need it most. The payout reputation of an insurer is essential. Suited uses financially sound insurers with an A+ rating.

Many providers charge fees to amend or cancel

Low initial prices often hide additional charges to pay monthly, amend or cancel your policy. At Suited, we charge no extra fees, and you can cancel anytime with no more to pay.

Some policy wordings are restrictive or have a high excess

Some providers will offer attractive prices, but it is at the expense of cover given. Suited professional indemnity and public liability have £0 excess.

In this section
Suited awards.

Common questions

Do dance teachers need insurance?

Dance teachers who teach members of the public should protect themselves with insurance for dance teachers. This applies to anyone in this profession, an amateur, freelancer teacher or dance school/studio.

What insurance do dance teachers need?

As a minimum a dance teacher should protect themselves against being sued. This could be by students for negligence or failing duty of care, or by members of the public for causing an injury or property damage.

What is the best insurance for dance teachers?

The best coverage and the price you pay will depend on your circumstances. Good insurance should be flexible, free of any extra charges and easy to change or cancel.

Do zumba instructors need insurance?

Just like any other dance instructor, Zumba instructors who teach the public should protect themselves by having Zumba instructor insurance.

Answer 4 questions then select the policies and limits you need.
Answer 4 questions then select the policies and limits you need.
the suited way
Insurance made better

Self-employed insurance done fast, clear and upfront.

Professional indemnity insurance for dance teachers
A woman doing yoga.
More flexible

Make changes instantly, easily and for free.

A happy man paying no fees.
No extra fees

We give you one price, no APR or hidden extras.

A man in retro clothes.
Go retroactive

Include retroactive cover to insure previous work.

Holiday umbrella.
Holiday mode

Pay less when not working by hibernating your PI cover.

A plus rating.
Top insurers

Be confident knowing your cover is backed by trusted UK insurers.

Map of UK.
UK support

Get help when you need it from our Bristol based team.

Contact us
Prefer to speak?

Call us with any questions or queries. Our Bristol based team is available from Monday to Friday and answers straightaway.

Monday-Friday, 8:30am to 5:30pm

A woman in a suit standing talking on the phone an carrying a cup of coffee.
Once you buy
If your plans change

No problem, Suited uses a simple subscription model making it easy to walk away.

14 day promise stamp.
14 day promise *

If you call to cancel within the first 2 weeks we’ll give you a full refund.

A woman next to a  man jumping.
Easy to cancel

No longer need us? Cancel anytime, no more to pay.

* 14 day promise is not available online, please speak to a member of staff. Not available if you have reported a claim.

Articles for
Dance teachers
Ready to get started?

The fast and hassle free way to get business insurance for small professional outfits.

Answer 4 questions to get an instant price.
Answer 4 questions to get a price.
Insurance times awards 2023 finalist.


When you visit our website, cookies are placed on your computer, mobile phone or tablet. Their purpose is to help us improve the site experience, detect potential problems and assist our marketing efforts. You can customise your consent for each cookie. We take privacy seriously, here's how.