Freelance insurance

Secure business insurance for freelancers quickly and without fuss. We're simply priced, flexible and upfront.

Rating: 4.8 - 24 reviews
Answer 4 questions to get an instant price.
Answer 4 questions to get a price.
Professional indemnity insurance for freelancers UK
Professional indemnity insurance for freelancers UK
Professional indemnity insurance for freelancers UK
A stopwatch.
Quickly priced
Buy online 24 hours.
Buy online
A man going fast.
Instant cover
Top insurers
A few coins.
Pay monthly
Covers to consider

What is freelancer insurance?

Freelancer insurance is not one product. It usually comprises several products that combine to meet the insurance needs of your freelancer business.

Professional indemnity insurance is helpful if you provide advice or use your skills to solve your clients’ problems. You may need public liability if you have face-to-face dealings with people and property during your business. You may need product liability if you are involved in making or distributing products. Electronic business equipment insurance is good if you rely on your work equipment. 

Self employed professional indemnity insurance
Professional indemnity

from £7.67 per month

Provides you with legal defence against claims of professional mistake or negligence causing a financial loss to your clients.

Up to £2,000,000 cover

Zero excess

Dedicated legal team

A+ insurer

Competitive prices

Core cover
Self employed professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity

from £8.89 per month

Provides you with legal defence against claims of professional mistake or negligence causing a financial loss to your clients.

Up to £2,000,000 cover

Zero excess

Dedicated legal team

A+ insurer

Competitive prices

Core cover
Commercial legal expenses insurance.
Business legal protect

Cover of £100,000 commercial legal expenses included with your policy subscription.

Protects you and your business against a range of issues not typically covered by professional indemnity or public liability.

IR35 & HMRC investigations

Legal matters concerning your business

Negative PR (£25,000 cover)

Criminal prosecution

Compliance & regulation issues

Unpaid invoices (over £200)

Also includes free telephone advice & help from qualified professionals.

Tax and commercial legal advice

Counselling for you and your staff

Access to a legal template library

Identity theft assistance

Self employed public liability insurance.
Public liability

from +£4.76 per month

Protects your business against claims of causing an accidental injury or property damage to either your clients or a third party.

Up to £2,000,000 cover including products liability

No excess

Expert legal team

A+ specialist insurers

Covers claims against your client caused by your business

Business equipment insurance.
Electronic business equipment

from +£7.00 per month

Pays for repair or replacement if your portable electronic equipment (and accessories) get damaged or lost.

Equipment up to £10,000 cover (£3,500 per item)

Accessories are included (£500 per item)

Hired equipment is covered

Worldwide - your devices are covered anywhere you are

Personal accident insurance.
Business owner protect

from +£10.07 per month

Reimburses your taxable business expenses while you’re recovering from a serious illness or injury.

Up to £2,000 a month

Up to 6 months following the first 30 days of illness

Any tax deductible expenses included

Receive a lump sump payout if you suffer an accident leaving you with partial or total disablement:

£5,000 lump sum

Fast customer service

Quick payout

Answer 4 questions then select the policies and limits you need.
Answer 4 questions then select the policies and limits you need.
What people say
2 March
Extremely impressed

Extremely impressed with the professional and supportive service I received.

Kellie Williams
on Google
16 February
Very efficient

After shopping around for business liability cover, I found suited, I had a few questions and Jana from suited was very efficient...

on Trustpilot
14 February

The website is easy to use and the process is intuitive, clear and easy to follow.

Matt M
on Trustpilot
11 February

I was recommended Suited, because I’d been stalling. Simple to use website, offered clear, concise information and selection...

on Trustpilot
12 December

Really fantastic service by the suited insure team! Always found the insurance side to be a bit confusing but the team took me...

Michael Ryan
on Google
15 September

A simple and flexible service for what I required. Great communication from start to finish.

Matthew Allen
on Google
1 August

I was looking for business insurance this easy to use and very well explained web site made the process simple and painless. Had a quote...

Piers Field
on Trustpilot
In detail

Do I need insurance as a freelancer?

There are many reasons why freelancers should have some level of insurance. No matter how small, every business faces risks, and insurance can be a helpful safety net. 

Risk of being sued

When you start working independently, you are at risk of being sued by your clients, members of the public or subcontractors if you’re using any. Several products exist to protect you from legal claims.

Losing valuable business equipment or assets

Freelancers sometimes need specific equipment, stock, or other assets to carry out their work. Losing any of these assets could result in loss of work or downtime.

Unable to work due to illness

As a freelancer, you must look after yourself, including thinking of times when you may be too ill to work.

What is freelance liability insurance?

Sole trader liability insurance is a broad term that covers various legal liability products such as public liability, professional indemnity, employers' liability, and commercial legal expenses insurance.

As a freelancer, it's important to have legal liability insurance to safeguard yourself against legal actions that may arise from your business activities. Depending on your specific business needs, you may need to purchase one or more types of liability insurance products.

Professional indemnity insurance for freelancers

Professional indemnity is a legal cover that defends you if you face a legal claim due to your work. It provides legal advice representation and pays compensation if due. 

These legal claims can stem from a variety of scenarios. Poor communication is often one of them. Especially at the beginning, freelancers, keen to secure their first contract, tend to gloss over the finer details. Most times, it leads to misunderstandings and client dissatisfaction.

Poorly defined projects or work leaves room for negotiations, and some clients like to exploit the grey area to get you to deliver more for free or, worse, ask for their money back.

Sometimes, you will be working on similar client projects, and the tendency is to reuse some previous work. That occasionally gives rise to disputes with clients.

While working with clients, you may access sensitive information about their business or customer base. Even if it’s an accidental slip of the tongue in front of another client, giving trade secrets away can be very costly.

What does professional indemnity insurance for freelancers cover?

Professional indemnity protects freelancers from legal claims accusing them of wrongdoing due to your professional advice or work.

Cover includes:

  • Failing your duty of care
  • Making a mistake
  • Acting negligently
  • Giving the wrong advice or recommendation

For example:

  • Your client alleges that your work failed to deliver expected results and they want their money back or they’re suing you to do more for free
  • Your client claims compensation because they believe your work cost them money
  • You’re accused of sharing a client's confidential information with an unauthorised party
  • Your work or advice led to an injury or death
  • As a freelancer you may encounter issues over who owns the rights to the work produced, leading to legal disputes.
  • You said something wrong or acted in a discriminatory manner 

Choosing a freelance professional indemnity insurance limit that's right for you

Selecting an appropriate professional indemnity limit for your freelancing work is not always obvious; consider the following:

  • If you're part of a professional body, look for the professional indemnity limit recommendation or requirement.
  • If you operate independently, consider the complexity of your work and the advice you give—the more complex your work, the higher the limit you might need.
  • Think about what downside there might be if your advice goes wrong. How much might it cost to fix a problem?
  • Some insurance providers offer as little as £50,000 of cover, which might be tempting as the price will be low. However, with the rising cost of legal services, ask yourself if this amount will go far enough to cover solicitors' fees and possible compensation.

Does professional indemnity insurance cover my freelancing activities worldwide?

Your professional indemnity policy's ‘territory or geographical limits’ and ‘jurisdiction’ sections specify if your freelancer insurance will respond when working in different countries.

Territory or geographical limits:

The territory or geographical limit specifies where you can virtually or physically deliver your services. For example: “Worldwide.”

Jurisdictional limit:

The jurisdictional limit specifies which legal jurisdictions your policy will defend you if you are sued. For example: “Worldwide excluding US and Canada.”

Contract governance:

Any contracts or agreements you enter into with your clients should specify the ‘governing law’ for that contract, which is the jurisdiction in which parties can seek legal remedy for breach of contract.

Avoid entering contracts not governed by your local jurisdiction and/or excluded by your freelancer professional indemnity insurance.

If you work with US and Canadian clients, you can reduce your risk by not entering contracts governed by US and Canadian laws.

Switching your freelance professional indemnity insurance

Typically, in the UK, if you cancel a professional indemnity policy, you can no longer claim against it.

Therefore, if you switch your freelancer insurance provider, be sure your new policy covers your past work; this is called “retroactive cover”.

Should I keep my professional indemnity if I take a break or retire from freelancing?

It’s wise to keep your professional indemnity if you’re taking a break or retiring from freelancing. Claims against professional misconduct can surface months or years after you delivered the work.

Remember: If you cancel your policy, your insurance coverage will end, including coverage for any previous work.

How long you keep your cover in place is up to you. Consider the type of freelancing you did and the likelihood that a client might bring a claim against you. 

Public liability insurance for freelancers

Public liability insurance is commonly needed by independent freelancers when their work involves physical contact with clients, the public or third-party property members. 

Many freelancers meet clients at their homes, at their clients’ homes or in an office. Face-to-face meetings can expose freelancers to liability claims if a client trips or falls.

Freelance public liability insurance takes care of instances where an accident happened to a person or their property, and they seek compensation from you. 

What does freelance public liability insurance cover?

Public liability provides legal defence and covers a possible payout if you're found liable for property damage or causing an injury.

Cover includes:

  • accidental injury or death
  • accidental property damage

For example:

  • A client visits you at your home or in your office and is injured in a slip or fall 
  • You have caused property damage while visiting your client’s property
  • You have failed to warn someone of a risk, and they injured themselves, e.g. a hidden step or low ceiling

Other insurance freelancers buy

As a freelancer, the insurance coverage you require will depend on your individual situation. Do you rely on expensive computer equipment for your work? What would occur if you couldn't work due to sickness? Are you able to handle the responsibility of outstanding bills? Are you worried about the welfare of your family?

Commercial legal expenses insurance

Most commercial legal expenses insurance will protect freelancers against various tax and legal issues you may encounter due to your profession, which are not covered by professional indemnity or public liability.

At Suited, we combined £100,000 of commercial legal expenses insurance with helplines and other tools to better assist freelancers in dealing with these issues. We call this Business Legal Protect, and it’s part of your subscription.

Business Legal Protect offers qualified advice and assistance with:

  • Legal and accountancy matters concerning your business
  • Criminal prosecution
  • Compliance & regulation issues
  • Unpaid invoices (over £200)

For example:

  • HMRC flags you for an IR35 investigation
  • Your client accuses you of breach of contract 
  • You need guidance on compliance issues for your business
  • You work hard to get good feedback, but then a client comes along who’s leaving bad reviews about you everywhere they can. That can seriously affect future opportunities, and you may need professional help to fix it.
  • You need legal help chasing a major unpaid invoice

Electronic business equipment insurance

Electronic business equipment insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing business equipment, such as computers, cameras, or other tools of your trade. Freelancers are often reliant on all things electronic. Whether this equipment is yours or hired, you can insure the cost of repair or replacement should an accident happen.

Suppose you use a laptop or computer to store your clients' files or conduct video sessions; if this gets lost, damaged or stolen, this will cause significant work disruption and financial burden.

Income protection insurance

Income protection insurance covers your earnings if you become so ill you cannot continue to work.

Shopping for freelance liability insurance

Whether or not you decide to use Suited freelance liability insurance to protect your business, it’s worth keeping the following in mind:

Cheap freelancer insurance

Cheaper insurance for freelancers may not be the best option. Consider the provider's after-sales service and ease of communication. Suited offers multiple communication options and prompt responses.

Select a fitting business activity description

When shopping for professional covers such as freelancer professional indemnity and public liability, ensure that you accurately select what you do for a living. Otherwise, you may end up with a product not designed for your profession.

Many providers charge fees to amend or cancel

Low initial prices often hide additional charges to pay monthly,  amend or cancel your policy. At Suited, we charge no other fees, and you can cancel anytime with no more to pay.

Some policy wordings are restrictive or have a high excess

Some providers will offer attractive prices, but it is at the expense of cover given. Suited professional indemnity and public liability have £0 excess.

In this section
Suited awards.

Common questions

Can I get income protection insurance for freelancers?

Some insurance providers do consider freelancers. If you are interested in this cover, check out our partners page.

What insurance do I need as a freelancer?

As a freelancer you may need several types of insurance. The types very much depend on your profession. But every active freelancer usually needs some liability insurance.

Do freelancers need employers’ liability insurance?

If you freelance alone, you don’t need employers’ liability insurance. However, if you use volunteers, contractors or have friends and family helping out, check your obligations.

Where can I buy the best insurance for freelancers?

The best insurance for freelancers is the one that protects from the risks associated with your work. Shop around and read about the covers on offer. Keep an eye on hidden costs - APR, charges to change or cancel.

Answer 4 questions then select the policies and limits you need.
Answer 4 questions then select the policies and limits you need.
the suited way
Insurance made better

Self-employed insurance done fast, clear and upfront.

Freelancers professional indemnity insurance
A woman doing yoga.
More flexible

Make changes instantly, easily and for free.

A happy man paying no fees.
No extra fees

We give you one price, no APR or hidden extras.

A man in retro clothes.
Go retroactive

Include retroactive cover to insure previous work.

Holiday umbrella.
Holiday mode

Pay less when not working by hibernating your PI cover.

A plus rating.
Top insurers

Be confident knowing your cover is backed by trusted UK insurers.

Map of UK.
UK support

Get help when you need it from our Bristol based team.

Contact us
Prefer to speak?

Call us with any questions or queries. Our Bristol based team is available from Monday to Friday and answers straightaway.

Monday-Friday, 8:30am to 5:30pm

A woman in a suit standing talking on the phone an carrying a cup of coffee.
Once you buy
If your plans change

No problem, Suited uses a simple subscription model making it easy to walk away.

14 day promise stamp.
14 day promise *

If you call to cancel within the first 2 weeks we’ll give you a full refund.

A woman next to a  man jumping.
Easy to cancel

No longer need us? Cancel anytime, no more to pay.

* 14 day promise is not available online, please speak to a member of staff. Not available if you have reported a claim.

Articles for
Ready to get started?

The fast and hassle free way to get business insurance for small professional outfits.

Answer 4 questions to get an instant price.
Answer 4 questions to get a price.
Insurance times awards 2023 finalist.


When you visit our website, cookies are placed on your computer, mobile phone or tablet. Their purpose is to help us improve the site experience, detect potential problems and assist our marketing efforts. You can customise your consent for each cookie. We take privacy seriously, here's how.